I never know what to write on these pages… so I decided to follow my daughter Donetta’s lead (http://donetta.wordpress.com/about/) and list:
25 Random Things About Me:
- I’ve been happily married for 36 years (my how time flies when you’re having a good time).
- An interesting note – just after I met my wife, and just after we got engaged, I had the only two accidents in my life that were charged as my fault. So – watch the road when other things in life are dominating!
- Our 7 wonderful children are all unique and wonderful human beings! Each is making an important contribution to society and they and their families bring great joy to us.
- I’ve loved Apple products since the first Mac Plus I used at work more than 20 years ago. I purchased a souped up Mac SE (2 1/2 MB Ram, 40 MB hard drive!), and have had Mac products since (both at work and at home) – including a Umac Clone, IIvx, iMac (at least 2), Mac Powerbooks (at least 2), and now a Mac Pro. Other mac products now include an iPad and an iPhone (but the list goes on).
- I gave my first talk in Stake Conference when I was 11 years old. The theme was Primary, and I was the selected child in the Stake to speak.
- I have been the Priesthood Pianist (or Organist) off and on since I was 12 years old. During one of these periods, I was the first person to play a large new organ in a church meeting when it was installed in the new chapel in Eugene Oregon.
- I love the Boy Scouts and have been in scouting activities most of my life. My first summer job was working as a camp councilor – working on the Archery Range. During my second summer, I worked at a different camp on the waterfront. I taught Lifesaving and Canoeing Merit Badges. I obtained my Woodbadge beads in 1990.
- A little known fact is that I can’t float. Not that I don’t know how to float (I taught a number of people)… I just literally don’t float. This made passing swimming class as a child difficult – beginning swim teachers can’t comprehend that there are those of us that DON’T float…. “auto flunk”… WHAT?
- When I was in Junior High School, I was called into the Vice Principals Office for skipping school. I maintained I was in school, but I was getting the riot act about not telling the truth and about skipping out. I then looked over his elbow (not tall enough to look over his shoulder) to see that he was looking at the records of the wrong Donald Robert Allen (wrong address). The other Don Allen was in a grade lower than I, and in a classroom just one over from where I was. The student sent to pick me up went to the wrong classroom.
- I love the out of doors, but I hate bugs… so I grew to love camping in winter. It has the advantages of fewer people, and no bugs.
- Radio Control has always been an interest – my first R/C item was a sail plane with a 100″ wing span. It was a beautiful sight to see fly, and a lot of fun. One time while soaring along the slope at Point of the Mountain Utah, we got a little too close to a large hawk – who “attacked” it with claws open.
- My second R/C item was an off-road racing car. We would drive it around the local school yard – it was a lot of fun, until someone stole it out of our garage…
- My model railroad has been a dream for most of my life. With our recent move, I now have a room dedicated for a model railroad. The first of the benchwork modules have been constructed as of 30 Dec 2011!
- I’ve taken my love of photography to the next level, with numerous photos in competitions and hanging in local companies.
- I used the same camera (Canon A-1) for 25 years, but have since transitioned to digital. I loved my Rebel XT, but love my 5DMKII even more!
- I love to read – especially science fiction. My favorite current authors include Orson Scott Card, Connie Willis and Julie E Czerneda.
- After I graduated from college, I always wanted to join a company with a nice solid future and finish out my career in one place. Instead I learned that the only thing constant in live is change.
- I don’t mind traveling, and do so for business and pleasure, but never thought I’d have to add pages to my passport – but I did – twice!
- My first job (after scout camp) was pumping gas at a service station. I’m still pumping gas after all these years – but now I’m not getting paid for it…
- I love watching out the window of airplanes, but I’d rather sit on the aisle for long flights… what to do?
- I love books and have always wanted a library/office at home. We finally have one… but the shelves (including the 3 new ones) are full. All(?) new books will be electronic ones purchased on the iPad.
- I will be up front and blunt – I hate shopping… On the other hand, the most wonderful invention of all time is on-line shopping – no lines, no crowds, near unlimited product variety…
- I love gadgets – sometimes I think I have more gadgets than brains…
- I tend to be a perfectionist – so I’d usually rather do it myself, even if it means waiting till I have time… which means there’s lots of things still on my to-do list. However, I’m learning to delegate.
- As my kids will attest, when I get upset, I don’t get angry, I just take off my glasses and rub my eyes…